The other day I bought a computer. I upgraded it pretty extensively, but what I mainly want to talk about is a five-letter word you’ve all been hearing lately. VISTA.
For those of you who don’t have Vista, you’ve probably heard all sorts of remarks about it, similar to the following:
- “I hate it”
- “It runs slow”
- “It freezes alot”
- “Why not just pay $100 and downgrade to XP?”
Well, you may be surprised to hear it, but I LOVE Vista. So far I’ve had no problems with it. It has many more features and enhancements. The GUI is also really sweet (Windows Aero). Here is a list of some of the features I like:
- Fast Search – XP has this really slow, annoying, creepy search tool that I only used as a last resort (starting it before I went to bed, hoping it would be done in the morning…okay, maybe not that bad)
- Windows Media Center – A nice, central, place for storing all your media, it even has TV!
- Remote Control – I’m a bit of a gadget guy…
- Windows Aero – Really nice GUI – I’m on a 2.0 Ghz core 2 duo with 3gb of ram, and it runs incredibly smooth. You do have the option of reverting to a Windows 9.x look and feel if you don’t care for Aero
- IIS functionality – google it 🙂
- Various other enhancements – including better organization of your documents, nicer integration with the rest of Microsoft’s newer products, etc.
The list could go on and on, but this should give you a good picture. If anyone has any other Vista stories (good or bad – based on your personal experience only, no “I have a friend who told me” type stories, I could make anything look bad doing that :), please share them.